Admissions Hotline

Work Hours:8:00—20:00
(Monday Through Sunday)

1. What can I expect my dormitory living environment to be like?

Learning to be independent and live on one’s own is a key skill in preparing for college. At Saint Paul American School, faculty and staff work with students to create a comfortable, residential life community that will effectively prepare students for college life. Living in a dormitory with students from around the world is a unique privilege for boarding students, and is also the first step in becoming a part of a school community.

example of saitn paul american school dorm-room

DORM LIFE- All students living on campus are assigned at least one roommate. Some students may live with two other students. There are two dormitories—one for boys and one for girls, which are situated in separate buildings. All rooms come equipped with the following amenities:

Twin bed

Individual work desk for each student

Sink/ shower


Cleaning service (clothing and room)

In addition, each dormitory floor has a dorm staff member on duty at all times to ensure each student is provided a comfortable living environment. Finally, to ensure safety, both dorms now have fingerprint scanners that ensure that no one will enter or leave the dorms without being first identified.

2. What sort of health and accident insurance is provided?

Saint Paul American School purchases health and accident insurance for the students which covers inpatient and accident costs. The maximum reimbursement for inpatient cost is 400,000 RMB and for accidental injury is 200,00 RMB.

3. What are the graduation requirements for the dual-diploma program?

Students enrolled in our school will complete courses totaling a minimum of 48 credit hours. St. Paul American School’s graduation requirements are designed to meet American accreditation standards and entry requirements for a wide range of colleges and universities. Students are also required to attend eight semesters of high school in ninth through twelfth grades

Students are individually responsible for seeing that they are meeting the requirements necessary for graduation, but an advisor or administrator will monitor each student’s records. Counselor will meet with individual students twice each year. Any student who has a question regarding graduation status should contact an advisor or administrator.

Subject area graduation requirements are as follows:

Language Arts 8 semester credits (1 must be in Speech)

Math 6 semester credits

Social Studies 7 semester credits* (including courses in Geography, Government, U.S. & World History, and Economics)

Science 6 semester credits* (2 must be in Biology)

Physical Education 2 semester credits

Health 1 semester credit

Fine Arts/Performing Arts 2 semester credits

Technology 1 semester credit

Foreign Language 6 semester credits (4 must be in the same language)

Elective 9 semester credits (Any credits in the previous categories that exceed the requirements count as elective credits)

#2 High School Attached to Beijing Normal University Diploma Requirements

Students enrolled in our school will complete 2 periods of Chinese Classes daily as well as a weekly Saturday Class. Students will continue with these courses until they have established a level of proficiency required for this diploma. Proficiency can be displayed through receiving a passing score on the HSK V test, a score of 4 on the AP Chinese Test, a score of 750 on the SAT Chinese Subject Test or another means approved by School Administration.

4. What extracurricular activities are provided at Saint Paul American School?

Each student will participate in an activity of their choosing during the assigned activity period. Every nine weeks students may decide to participate in a different activity, or, if they like, may continue with their originally selection. The following is a list of activities.

students celebrating after winning first place in the Field day competition

Activities List:

Open Gym (Basketball and Badminton)


Ping Pong



Student Council

5. What do students do on the weekends?

One of the true benefits of studying abroad is the opportunity for students to experience another culture. With this idea in mind, SPAS offers a variety of weekend activities for students to participate in. A typical weekend for a student will vary; however, most student weekends follow this pattern.

Saturday- Chinese cultural class and actvitity Sunday- Visits to well-known international areas under the supervision of dorm staff. Students also have the option to attend a church service.

6. Does each student have an academic advisor?

Given that Saint Paul American School is a boarding school, faculty and staff recognize the unique opportunity present to build strong, personal relationships with students. Therefore, every day, students meet with a smaller “homeroom” group to discuss academics, school events, and other important issues. This time is referred to as advisory period.

7. What sort of Visa is required for non-Chinese students, and what is the procedure and cost for this visa?

The correct type of visa for non-Chinese students is a student visa. Admissions staff will handle this application process, the cost of which is included in the tuition package.

8. What is the makeup of the student body?

In 2007, Saint Paul American School began with a modest student body of roughly 30 students. As of the end of the 2011-2012 school year, the SPAS student body was comprised of 250 students from over 20 countries. The makeup of students at that time was 40% Korean, 40% Chinese and 20% international.

This year we are excited to have an enrollment of about 300 students.

9. Describe a typical student’s schedule?

Every SPAS student’s school day runs from 8:00-5:30 (this includes activity) There are nine class periods, and one activity period.

Period 1- 8:10-8:55 Period 1- Advisory

Period 2- 9:00-9:45 Period 2- Speech

Period 3 - 9:50-10:35 Period 3 - American Literature

Period 4-10:40-11:25 Period 4- Physics

Period 5- 11:30-12:15 Period 5- Chinese, Level 6

Period 6 - 12:20-1:05 Period 6- Lunch

Period 7- 1:10-1:55 Period 7- Art

Period 8- 2:00-2:45 Period 8- World History

Period 9- 3:00-3:45 Period 9- Activity

Period 10- 4:00-4:45 Activity- Study Time

Period 11- 4:50-5:35 Period 11- HSK Level 6

10. What sort of food/cafeteria services are provided in the meal plan?

The cafeteria, led by the very talented chef Ms. Kim, is open for day students during breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours. These meals are all included in the student’s meal plan. The food served is a wide variety of Chinese, Korean, and Western cuisine, with a mix of other international dishes also being offered.

11. Nurse/ medical services

During the school year, a certified school nurse is available at all hours (either in the office or on call for emergency situations); they provide first hand over the counter (OTC) medications and refer students to other medical service providers such as physicians or dentists. The nurse is usually also the one who accompanies the student to a hospital, if needed.

If there is a sick student, the nurses are in charge of doing hourly/daily check ups, just like the nurses do in hospitals. In severe cases we can be directly in contact with parents (by e-mail or phone) to keep them up to date.

The nurses also take care of the medicine stock and try to keep the first aid kits up to date. The influenza shots last year were organized by SPAS health staff in cooperation with 2nd high school.

The school nurses also educate the students and promote health and well-being by holding short seminars to small groups. The nurses have also held a first aid session for the dorm staff.

12. What is included in the tuition fees?

Room and board

Class fees

Activity fees



Transportation to and from airport

Co-curricular trips

MAP testing

School Spirit activities- Spirit Week, Festival of Nations, Sports Day

13. What is not included in the tuition fees?

Student uniform

Health and accident insurance

Extended dormitory stay

Additional sports fees

Visa expenses


TOEFL/ SAT/ HSK testing fees

SAT/TOEFL prep courses

14. What universities do your graduates go to?

Based on statistics of nacel program across the world, 90% of our graduates go on to a top 100 university in the US, with the rest going to universities in other countries. About one third of our graduates have gone to a top 50 US university. We provide personalized college counselling to all our students to help them get into their dream schools.

15. Do all students applying for an American university need to take the TOEFL test?

The TOEFL test is designed specially for non-native speakers of English. If you are from an English-speaking country, then you don’t need to take TOEFL. Students from non-English-speaking countries need to take TOEFL when they apply for US universities. We open TOEFL prep courses for non-native speakers of English to help them achieve higher scores.